Parish of Chelsea-Lascelles-Wakefield was formed in 1990 and is
a part of the Anglican
Diocese of Ottawa in the Anglican
Church of Canada. We are a welcoming Christian community, nurturing
life's balance in God's changing world.
- Click here for our calendar of events.
- Click here
for a pdf map of the Dioceses and Provinces in the Anglican Church
of the Good Shepherd, Wakefield and Holy Trinity, Lascelles had
been sister congregations since their inceptions in the 1860s.
In January of 2000; however, it was the will of these congregations
to deepen their shared life and at successive Vestry meetings they
voted to amalgamate into one congregation.
Church of the Good Shepherd now serves as the sponsoring Church
of the congregation and holds services every Sunday morning. Holy
Trinity is now a Chapel and continues to flourish as a place for
special services of worship such as Evensong in the summer, the
Feast of St Francis, and Christmas Eve Easter morning celebrations.
What follows is a historical sketch of each of the congregations
that have come to form the Parish of Chelsea-Lascelles-Wakefield.<-->
The Church of the Good Shepherd
1870, land for a church in Wakefield was obtained from Dame Sarah
McTaggart and in two years the Church of the Good Shepherd was built
just outside the village. The church was consecrated by the Right
Rev. Ashton Oxenden on September 21, 1873. By 1920 a new church
of the Good Shepherd, Wakefield was being built to replace the old
frame church. The Church of the Good Shepherd is currently part
of the parish of Chelsea- Lascelles-Wakefield.
1864, the Rev. J. J. S. Seaman was appointed as the first resident
missionary of Wakefield and Masham (Lascelles). Holy Trinity Church,
Masham was built of pine under the direction of the Rev. Seaman.
Holy Trinity was thoroughly repaired in 1887. In 1906, the Ven.
Archdeacon Naylor laid the cornerstone for a modern brick church
and three years later the second Holy Trinity Church, Masham was
constructed. The church was consecrated on August 21, 1912. By 1931,
the church was referred to as Holy Trinity, Lascelles. Since 1990,
Holy Trinity Church has been part of the parish of Chelsea-Lascelles-Wakefield.